Dear Abby.
In the real world, I occupy an office of my own at Massey University, where I undertake research and venture occasionally into fairly well equipped lecture theatres where I endeavour to teach bright (and sometimes not so bright) undergraduate students. Sometimes, this entails going online and, in extremis, resorting to showing YouTube videos.
However, in the parallel universe I am presently occupying things are disconcertingly different. Firstly, I am sharing an office. Jean is a lovely man, it must be said, but cohabitation is an interesting experience, and one I have not experienced since 1992. Further, as students in the Parallel Universe are not required to sign up for courses, I have no idea how many people I will confront when I show up for my first class on Tuesday (which is done out in tastefully appointed wooden benches). I have been told to expect somewhere between 15 and 150 which, frankly, I find somewhat unnerving. But most disconcertingly of all, I was advised today that I would need to use a microphone in the lecture hall. A hand held microphone. Not a tiny, unobtrusive mic that can be tucked away in a shirt pocket, but one of those cumbersome, battery driven HAND HELD ONES. I fear I may break into song (and, worse, dance) with one of those in my hands, rather than utter anything sensible regarding cabinet government.
Am I Arthur or Martha? What should I do? Please advise.
Rich - Try leading off with a hearty rendition of Kamate! Kamate! That should catch their attention. Good luck for your first lecture.
ReplyDeleteDad
Or Pokarekare Ana if you're feeling like a good sing song.
ReplyDeleteJust checked you out on Google Maps... nice location... that valley looks quite built up... lots of houses between the mountains.
At least you're close to Lyon and Geneva... be great for day trips... and I know the car isn't the sporty racer you crave... but it looks flash enough to me.
I bet there are all sorts of other great day trips you're within driving distance of as well... looks like a great spot to be based.
We get spoilt for commuting times in Palmy... 4 cars in front of us at the lights is a traffic jam... but I guess the 1 hour commute is just typical big city stuff.
Cheers,
Craig Auckram.